NYS Mandated Health Screenings
New York State requires the following health screenings and exams. Parents and guardians may have these screenings and exams performed by the family’s private physician. In this instance, parents/guardians must provide documentation that the screenings and/or exams were performed by the family physician, with results signed and stamped by the physician. The documentation should be sent to the nurse at your child's school.
- PHYSICAL EXAM -- new entrants, students in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11, athletics, working permits and triennially for the Committee on special Education (CSE).
- Includes Body Mass Index (BMI)*
- HEARING SCREENING -- new entrants, students in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11
- SCOLIOSIS SCREENING -- Boys in grade 9; Girls in grades 5 & 7
- VISION SCREENING
- Color perception -- new entrants
- Near vision -- new entrants, grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11
- Distance acuity -- new entrants, grades, k, 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11
*Notice about BMI: As part of a required school health examination, a student is weighed and measured. These numbers are used to figure the student’s Body Mass Index (BMI). A sample of school districts will be selected to take part in a survey by the NYS Department of Health. If our school is selected, we will report our student’s weight status groups. Only summary information is sent. No names and no information about individual students are sent. However, you may choose to have your child’s information excluded from this survey report. To do so, please print your child’s name, and print and sign your name requesting your child not be included in the survey and send it to the nurse at your child’s school.