Notice Regarding Requests for Non-Public School Transportation for the 2020-2021 School Year

In compliance with Section 3635 of the New York State Education Law, a parent, or guardian, of children residing in the Carmel Central School District who attend a non-public school, or who are requesting transportation to or from childcare, must request transportation services each year prior to the first day of April preceding the next school year. Therefore, anyone desiring transportation for the 2020-2021 school year must apply no later than April 15, 2020 (Note extended date).

Private or Parochial School Transportation --Children attending a private or parochial school will be provided transportation services in accordance with Education Law, and Board of Education policy. Current Board of Education policy stipulates transportation from 0.7 of a mile up to a maximum of 15 miles (application).

Childcare Transportation--The request must be for transportation from the same location each day in the morning and to the same location each day in the afternoon. Transportation to and from different locations depending on the day of the week cannot be permitted. The residence of a babysitter must be within the attendance area of the school the child will attend (application).

Requests for transportation for the 2020-2021 school year must be in writing. Applications for parochial and private school transportation and for childcare transportation are available from the Transportation Office. Complete, then mail or bring your application by April 15, 2020 to: Mr. Pat Payne, Supervisor of Transportation, Carmel Central School District, Transportation Depot, 1099 Route 52, Carmel, New York 10512

If you have questions concerning non-public or day care transportation for your child for the 2020-2021 school year, please contact the Transportation Office at 845-225-3200.


Important -- Bus Passes

Children in grades K-5 have been given a bus pass to be used when entering and exiting the bus. This program was implemented last year and will be used every year for your children. The purpose is for the safety of your child. When the pass is used as designed we will be able to know at any time where your child boarded the bus and where they exited the bus. If your child does not use the pass the program will not work for them.

 Please remind your children of the importance of using the pass every day and insist that they do so. When a card gets lost we can replace it. If a child continually loses or refuses to use their card we will reach out to you to discuss how to correct the problem. The drivers have also been asked to help the students to remember to use their cards daily.

If you should have any questions please give me a call at the Transportation Dept.
Best regards,
Pat Payne
Transportation Supervisor

Bus Identification System

Specific numbers identifies routes. The route number will be displayed on a card located on the windshield of the bus. (The number of the bus is no longer used for identification.) Please be sure your child is aware of this route identification system. 

Transportation Requests for Private Schools

Transportation  Requests for childcare transportation and transportation to private schools must be made in writing by April 1. If the parent or guardian of a child does not live in the district on April 1, he/she must submit a written request within 30 days after establishing residence in the district. Requests made after April 1 may be granted, subject to available space, provided that granting the request would not add to transportation costs. The childcare facility and/or private school must be within the school district and within the attendance area of the school the child will attend. Transportation must be from the same location each morning and back to the same location each afternoon. Transportation to and from different locations, depending on the day of the week, cannot be permitted. Private School Transportation Requests for transportation to private and parochial schools must be made to our transportation office in writing by April 1 of each year. If a request is made after April 1,the district consider the request and will provide the transportation only if it can be done at no additional cost to the district.