PARENTS BILL OF RIGHTS FOR DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY
Pursuant to Section 2-c and 2-d of the Education Law, parents and students are entitled to certain protections regarding confidential student information. The District is committed to safeguarding personally identifiable information from unauthorized access or disclosure as set forth below:
- A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes;
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record;
- The District is committed to implementing safeguards associated with industry standards and best practice under state and federal laws protecting the confidentiality of personally identifiable information, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection when data is stored or transferred;
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/ (click on NYSED Student Data Element List) or by writing to Lizzette Ruiz-Giovinazzi, Assistant Superintendent, Carmel Central School District, 81 South St., P.O. Box 296, Patterson, NY 12563; and
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data Complaints should be directed to Mrs. Lizzette Ruiz-Giovinazzi, Assistant Superintendent at 845 878-2094, ext. 241, or email@example.com or mail to Carmel Central School District, 81 South St., P.O. 296, Patterson, NY 12563.
- If the District enters into contracts with third party contractors who would be sent student data and/or teacher data and/or principal data, information about such contractors would appear in an attachment to this document as required by law and would contain the following:
- The names of the third party contractors, the exclusive purpose(s) for which the data will be used;
- the commencement and termination dates of each such agreement;
- A description of how the data will be disposed by the contractor when the contract purpose has been fulfilled;
- The data storage and security measures
- Agreements with third party contractors will ensure that the subcontractors, persons or entities that the third party contractor will share the student data or teacher or principal data with, if any, will abide by data protection and security
- A parent, student, eligible student, teacher or principal may challenge the accuracy of the student data or teacher or principal data that is collected by filing a written request with the Superintendent of Schools or his/her administrative designee: Mrs. Lizzette Ruiz-Giovinazzi, Assistant Superintendent, Carmel Central School District, 81 South St., P.O. Box 296, Patterson, NY 12563.
The New York State Education Department Parent Bill of Rights can be found at: http://www.nysed.gov/student-data-privacy/student-data-privacy-bill-rights-parents-bill-rights